Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The knight and the beast

My sister, A, is in Germany this week pursuing an experimental treatment to stop her cancer from spreading. It's, oh, geez...I'm very happy that there IS an experimental anything to interrupt cancer's rampage. And this experience is such a perpetually delicate, painful thing. I'm not sure I can really write about how afraid and wistfully hopeful I am.
We had this great talk, she & I, about her husband and his efforts to find the right treatment for her. She compared him to Wesley in The Princess Bride, doing anything to keep his love safe, and I know he'd come back from the mostly dead to save her if he could.
My brother-in-law is just blowing my mind with his desperation and determination to help my sister get the treatment they believe may stop the attack of new tumors.
As a physician, my sister's husband has access to a number of resources (hospitals, doctors, cancer research institutes, medical investors and entrepreneurs), and the industry clout which gives him credibility when he assaults those resources with his agenda.
He has stayed awake nights compiling reports and packets and amassing and clarifying data on this experimental treatment, which he has then packaged professionally and sent to any credible institution or research facility that might put this treatment into place soon enough to help A.
I'm amazed, and very very moved, by his fierceness, and am clinging tightly to my hope that his tenacity, this German doctor who just gave A the treatment yesterday, and just the power of chance, medicine, and determination, will put cancer - that bitch - on the run.

8 comments:

M said...

I don't know how he does it. But then again, I do.

I'm clinging tightly onto hope, too.

Aunt Becky said...

Sending hope and love and prayers.

Jill said...

Truuuuue Looooove! May the knight prevail.

Sprite's Keeper said...

I think she knows how lucky she is to have such a fierce warrior ready to do battle for her. Thinking good thoughts!

Irish Gumbo said...

I am in awe, m'lady...

Wishing your sister, and you, all the best in the Universe.

Maude Lynn said...

Wishing all the best!

Michele said...

What a wonderful man. Sending them both good vibes.

Jason, as himself said...

I hope with all my might that this is a success. For your sister, her husband, and everyone.